Thirteen recipients of the Horizon Scholarship announced
07 Apr 2015
Thirteen young Australians with a love of agriculture and the capability to be future leaders have each been awarded the prestigious Horizon Scholarship.
Developed to help address the shortage of trained professionals entering primary industries and designed to promote the diverse career pathways that agriculture offers, the Horizon Scholarship attracts Australia’s best and brightest young tertiary students.
The students are studying for degrees such as agricultural science and animal and rural sciences at universities across the country, and all are committed to a career in primary industries after their studies.
Under the Scholarship, which is an initiative of the Rural Industries R&D Corporation, industry sponsors support the students throughout the course of their undergraduate studies by providing them with financial assistance and professional support in the form of mentoring, professional development workshops and industry placement.
The 2015 Horizon Scholarship students, the degree they are studying and their sponsors are:
- Jasmine Whitten from Hughenden, Queensland; Bachelor of Rural Science, University of New England. Sponsor: Australian Egg Corporation Limited
- Camilla a'Beckett from Middle Park, Victoria; Bachelor of Agriculture, University of Melbourne. Sponsor: Cotton Research & Development Corporation (CRDC)
- Scott Nevison from Gordon, New South Wales; Bachelor of Food and Agribusiness, University of Sydney. Sponsor: CRDC
- Royce Pichford from Echunga, South Australia; Bachelor of Agricultural Science, University of Adelaide. Sponsor: Australian Wool Innovation
- Matthew Champness from Hamilton, Victoria; Bachelor of Agricultural Science, Charles Sturt University. Sponsor: Grains Research & Development Corporation (GRDC)
- Nicholas Grant from Temora, New South Wales; Bachelor of Agricultural Science, Charles Sturt University. Sponsor: GRDC
- Elicia Jitming Lim from Beverley Hills, New South Wales; Bachelor of Food and Agribusiness, University of Sydney. Sponsor: GRDC
- Eliza Seymour from Buderim, Queensland; Bachelor of Science/Commerce, University of Queensland. Sponsor: GRDC
- Jack McIntosh from Bathurst, New South Wales; Bachelor of Agricultural Science, Charles Sturt University. Sponsor: RIRDC
- Roxanne Mostert from Redmond, Western Australia; Bachelor of Agricultural Science, University of Western Australia. Sponsor: GRDC
- Caitlyn Daffey from Ballarat, Victoria; Bachelor of Veterinary Science, James Cook University. Sponsor: Meat & Livestock Australia
- Alison Gill from Craigburn Farm, South Australia; Bachelor of Science (Advanced), University of Adelaide. Sponsor: GRDC
- Amy Munro from Cumnock, New South Wales; Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Bachelor of Veterinary Science, Charles Sturt University. Sponsor: RIRDC
Profiles of each of the recipients and more information about the Horizon Scholarship can be found at www.rirdc.gov.au/horizon